5 Harsh Realities About Shonky Roof Repairs
Slate roofs are among the most attractive and durable forms of roofing out there. They can also be expensive to install, which means most people want to make sure they’re getting as much as possible out of their slate roof.
If there’s an issue with your roof, it’s important to get it fixed as quickly as possible, but trying to cut corners and get your slate roof repairs done on the cheap can lead to more problems further down the track.
Before you pick up the phone to call that cheap roofer, or let your dodgy brother in law loose on your slate roof, read this list of five harsh realities about shonky roof repairs.
1. They can cause more damage. Slate roofing needs to be handled very carefully. Tramping all over the roof is likely to cause as much damage as it fixes, if not more. An amateur or shonky roofer isn’t necessarily going to know this, or have a sound understanding of the right techniques to access the damaged areas without making more problems.
2. They may cost more in the future. Slate roofs are expensive and replacing shingles that have been damaged during a shonky repair job is more money that you really don’t need to be spending on top of fixing the original problem.
3. The problem may not be adequately fixed. A contractor who isn’t an expert in slate roofing may not actually be able to repair your roof to an acceptable standard. This means that once a bout of rainy weather hits and the leaks start appearing, you’ll have to pay an expert all over again to get the job done properly.
4. Your home can be damaged. A leaky roof can lead to further damage to your home. Water coming into your home, even if you aren’t aware of it at the time, can cause extensive structural damage which may be costly and time-consuming to fix. Why take the chance that your whole home will be affected?
5. Shonky repairs can be dangerous. If your slate roof repairs in Sydney or anywhere else in Australia aren’t carried out correctly, they can be potentially dangerous. Loose shingles can be a hazard, and a leaking roof can lead to damp, electrical problems, and other catastrophes. Don’t risk the health and safety of your family for the sake of saving money on your roof repairs.
If you have missing shingles, dark spots on your roof, or debris keeps falling out of your roof gutters, this may be the result of shonky repairs or poor maintenance in the past. Your slate roof can last a long time if it is properly taken care of, but if it isn’t maintained, you can be plagued by problems.
Don’t take chances with your repairs and maintenance. Speak to a professional Sydney slate roofing specialist from First Class Slate today.