The biggest red flags & what to look out for when hiring a roofing contractor
It is important when hiring a roofing contractor in Sydney , that you do your research and hire someone with a good reputation.
To give you a hand, the team at First Class Slate have put together some red flags to be aware of when hiring a roofing contractor.
1) make sure they have all the correct licenses and insurances such as public liability, workers compensation, contractor licence and supervisor licence. If they are unable to show you this then this is a major red flag. They should at the very least have all their public liability documents in order. You can search for the contractor and supervisor licences via the NSW Fair Trading website.
2) always ask about warranties – how long for and what they include. Most reputable roofing companies will guarantee their work and they will put this in writing. Ask for this upfront. If they are unable to offer this then it’s a huge red flag.
3) do their credentials stack up. Have a look at their website, make sure they have a legitimate business address, email address and phone number where you can contact them if there is an issue after they finish the job.
Legitimate roofing contractors should also be able to provide you with their Australian Business Number, and you should only pay GST to contractors who are actually registered for the GST. If they can’t show you this ask them why and make your decision based on their answer.
4) will they provide you with a written quote that’s fixed? All their work should be clearly outlined on a quote with the ABN number and this price has to be fixed. Make sure they go on your roof, have a look at the work that needs to be done and then provide a quote based on this.
5) lastly, have they got any samples of previous work to show you and testimonials you can read. They should point you to their website in the first instance. A good idea would be to also Google their name and check for any reviews. This will give you a really good feel for the company and for all past work carried out.